The Journey is Over, but Work Remains
The final work to restore the in Roanoke River Lighthouse is almost finished and the lighthouse should be open to all visitors very soon. Check here often for progress updates and dates for the Grand Opening.
Built in 1886, the restored Roanoke River Lighthouse now stands proudly in the harbor at Edenton, NC. The lighthouse first served as a guide for ships navigating the waters of the Albemarle Sound into the Roanoke River, and then, after being decommissioned in 1941, was moved by barge across the sound to private land, where it ultimately deteriorated as a neglected residence.
Its history, as one would expect, is filled with fateful events and colorful characters. A band of dedicated volunteers, public officials and preservationists brought it to its final home. With state funds, the structural restoration work continues as volunteer donations and furnishings are gathered for the still-to-be-completed interior, before it is opened to the public in mid-2014.
Your Help Is Needed!
Donors have generously given furnishings that are now being stored in the nearby Penelope Barker House, awaiting installation; however, more donations are needed!
Make a deductible donation in support of the Roanoke River Lighthouse and help preserve a bit of American history. Donations may be made online by clicking this button:
or by mailing a check to this address:
Edenton Historical Commission
c/o Lighthouse Fund
505 South Broad Street
Edenton, NC 27932