The restoration is complete. Come tour Edenton’s lighthouse.
It is now OPEN!
The 1886 Roanoke River Lighthouse is now officially open to the public. Seven days a week, 10 am until 4pm.
A small fee is charged by Historic Edenton State Historic Site: $3 for adults, $1.50 for youth 12 and over, younger children free. The lighthouse will be open for guided tours seven days a week for the foreseeable future.
Built in 1886, the fully restored Roanoke River Lighthouse now stands proudly in the harbor at Edenton, NC. The lighthouse first served as a guide for ships navigating the waters of the Albemarle Sound into the Roanoke River, and then, after being decommissioned in 1941, was moved by barge across the sound to private land, where it ultimately deteriorated as a neglected residence.
Its history, as one would expect, is filled with fateful events and colorful characters. After being acquired by the Edenton Historical Commission and then given to the state of North Carolina, a band of dedicated volunteers, public officials and preservationists brought it to its final home. With state funds, the structural restoration work was completed as volunteer donations and furnishings were gathered. Those furnishing are now being installed in preparation for the grand re-opening, August 15th.
Your Help Is Needed!
Donors have generously given furnishings that were stored in the nearby Penelope Barker House Welcome Center; however, more donations are needed! We are still searching for an appropriate bell and clock mechanism to ring that bell, as well as a 4th order Fresnel lens.
Make a deductible donation in support of the Roanoke River Lighthouse and help preserve a bit of American history. Donations may be made online by clicking this button:
or by mailing a check to this address:
Edenton Historical Commission
c/o Lighthouse Fund
505 South Broad Street
Edenton, NC 27932